We thought we’d make the best of this phase of social distancing and share with our sisterhood a trick or two.
Our lovely Brenda and Jane have got together to teach us how to make a zero waste scrunchie with a bit of scrap fabric and some elastic in 10 very simple steps
So get rummaging, find what you need and let’s get this scrunchie party started!
Note: there are lots of ways of making scrunchies, we picked what we felt was the easiest for beginners. We used a sewing machine, but you can also hand-sew your scrunchie if you don’t have a machine. If you are hand-sewing, you might like to use a contrast colour thread, so your handy work becomes more of a feature.
We’d love to see your creations! Share them with us on Instagram and tag @mayamikodesinged
10 STEPS SCRUNCHIE MAKING TUTORIAL
1. FIND A SCRAP PIECE OF FABRIC, AN OLD TOP, A SCARF, EVEN A KITCHEN TOWEL WILL DO! YOU'LL NEED TO CUT 18" x 5"
2. GET YOUR MATERIALS TOGETHER: FABRIC, 9" x 0.5" ELASTIC, A PIECE OF PAPER FOR YOUR PATTERN, THREAD, SCISSORS & PINS
3. CUT A PIECE OF PAPER 18" x 5"THIS IS YOUR PATTERN - YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THIS, BUT IT WILL HELP YOU CUT THE FABRIC NEATLY
4. LAY THE PATTERN ON THE FABRIC AND CUT AROUND IT. YOU CAN USE SOME PINS TO HOLD THE PATTERN IN PLACE
5. FOLD IN HALF AN INCH ON EACH SIDE, THEN FOLD THE FABRIC IN HALF ALONG THE LENGTH, AND PRESS DOWN WITH THE IRON
6. FOLD THE FABRIC IN HALF, SO THE WRONG SIDE OF THE PRINT IS ON THE OUTSIDE. SEW ALONG THE SHORT EDGE. THE FOLDED EDGES WILL SHOW ON THE OUTSIDE
7. CUT A 9" PIECE OF ELASTIC, AND SEW TOGETHER IN A LOOP
8. TAKE YOUR FABRIC LOOP FROM STEP 6 AND PLACE THE ELASTIC LOOP IN THE MIDDLE. MAKE SURE THE FABRIC IS STILL INSIDE OUT, WITH THE TWO FOLDED EDGES ON THE OUTSIDE
9. JOIN UP THE TWO HALVES OF THE FABRIC ALONG THE LONG EDGE. THE FOLDED EDGES SHOULD TOUCH EACH OTHER. YOU CAN USE PINS TO ALIGN THE FABRIC PROPERLY. NOW YOU CAN SEE THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE FABRIC!
10. SEW YOUR SCRUNCHIE ALL AROUND, ALONG THE OUTER EDGE OF THE FABRIC... AND VOILA'.... YOUR SCRUNCHIE IS READY!
Women's sizing at Mayamiko is in line with UK standard sizing. When in doubt or if in between sizes, we recommend going one size up, as the fabric is not stretchy and the fit is snug. You are also welcome to contact us for individual product queries, and we'll do our best to help!
Women's Dual Sizing Chart
Women's t-shirt sizing
|Length (from side neck point)||66cm||68cm||70cm|
Women's lounge shorts
With a a drawstring fastening to the front and an elasticated back waist are shorts are fully adjustable. Below is a guide only.
Men's t-shirt sizing
(from side neck point)